Thursday, June 25, 2009
Peanut Butter Light Cheesecake
I love cheesecake, either it is light or rich, baked or non-baked I also enjoy them. Unfortunately most people around me, include my family don't like cheesecake. They disliked the creamy taste and after taste of the cheese. So this is why I seldom bake cheesecake. Haha, after I borrowed a recipes book on cheesecake (The Ultimate Indulgence Cheesecake by Alan Kok) now I started to get crazy on cheesecake again.
This cheesecake is very soft and light.:) However there are cracks on the surface, I think it should be due to the long hour of steam-baking.:( Usually, baked cheesecake only required to steam-bake for 1 hour or slightly longer but this recipe used more liquid and required to steam-bake for around 2 hours.
1 thin slice 8inches sponge cake
Cream cheese mixture:
120g creamy peanut butter
200g cream cheese
40g cake flour (sift)
15g caster sugar
4 egg yolk
4 egg white
75g caster sugar
1. Line the side and base of a 8" round springform baking tin with grease proof paper and place the sponge cake at the bottom.
2. Double-boil milk, peanut butter, cream cheese and sugar until cream cheese has melted completely.
3. Add in flour, stir and cook until mixture has thicken.
4. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
5. Preheat oven to 170C. (Don't preheat the oven too early as the oven will be too hot.)
6. Whisk in egg yolk into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
7. Strain the mixture into a bigger mixing bowl.
8. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites till frothy.
9. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
10.Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the cream cheese mixture until combined.
11.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well combined.
12.Pour batter into the prepared cake tin, wrap the base and surrounding of the tin with 2 layers of foil.
13.Steam-bake cheesecake in a preheated oven for 15mins then reduce temperature to 140C and continue to steam-bake for 1hr and 45mins.
14.Leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1hr with the door ajar.
15.Remove cake from tin and chill in the fridge for about 1hr.(You can also chill the whole cheesecake in the cake tin.)
16.Cut and serve the cheesecake.