Thursday, June 28, 2012
Recipe from Carol自在生活- 蜂蜜煉乳杯子蛋糕.
Ingredients (yield 10 cupcakes)
45g caster sugar
100g cake flour
15g condensed milk
1/4tsp vanilla paste
50g unsalted butter (melted)
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Lined muffins pan with paper casing and set aside.
3. With a hand whisk, whisk eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl over a pot of simmer hot water. (Base of mixing bowl not touching water.)
4. Keep whisking till the egg mixture reach about 40C.
5. Remove from simmering water, pour egg into cake mixer bowl.
6. Whisk at high speed for 5mins till it increase in volume and pale.
7. Reduce speed to medium-low and continue to whisk till it stable where only tiny air bubbles can be seen, it take about 10-15mins.
8. Reduce speed to low and continue to whisk for a minute.
9. Dissolve honey and condensed milk in warm milk. (I mixed them together in a small bowl, warmed it up in microwave oven for 10sec and mix well.)
10.Sift flour into egg batter in 3 portions and fold in.
11.Mix lukewarm honey mixture and melted butter together.
12.Lastly fold in liquid mixture into cake batter till well blended.
13.Spoon batter into cupcake pan till 70% full.
14.Tap pan on counter top to burst air bubbles in the cake batter.
15.Spray water on surface of cake batter.
16.Bake in preheated oven for 18mins.
17.Remove cakes from pan and cool it on a wire rack.
Monday, June 25, 2012
3 egg yolk
1 1/2tbsp veg. oil
20g pandan juice
50g coconut milk
1/4tsp pandan paste
75g cake flour
3 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Sift flour and set aside.
3. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolk, sugar and salt together.
4. Add in oil, pandan juice, pandan paste and coconut milk, whisk till combined.
5. Add in flour and stir until batter is smooth.
6. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
7. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
8. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
9. Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions lightly until well combined.
10.Pour batter into a 20cm tube pan, smooth surface.
11.Place pan into a preheated oven and bake for 35-40mins.
12.Remove from oven, invert cake onto table top and leave it cool.
13.Remove cake from pan and enjoy.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
300g glutinous rice (soak overnight)
1tbsp pandan juice
few drop of green food colouring
3blades pandan leaves
4pcs banana leaves (about A4 size paper)
100g grated white coconut
100g palm sugar (chopped)
2blades pandan leaves
1. Scald banana leaves till soft, clean and set aside.
2. Mix salt into grated white coconut and steam for 10mins, set aside to cool.
3. Pour sugar, palm sugar, water and pandan leaves into a sauce pan.
4. Simmer till sugar and palm sugar dissolved, set aside to cool.
5. Mix pandan juice, salt, green colouring and water together.
6. Mix into drained glutinous rice and place pandan leaves on the surface.
7. Steam glutinous rice in a preheated steamer at high heat for 15mins till half cook.
8. Place 2pcs of banana leaves overlapping each other on counter top, scoop 1/2 portion of the glutinous rice onto banana leaf.
9. Roll it up firmly, tie two ends with raffia string tightly. (repeat steps no.6 and 7 for the balance glutinous rice)
10.Prepare 3/4 pot of boiling water.
11.Place bundles into boiling water and cook over medium high heat for 90mins till cooked.
12.Dish out and set aside to cool.
13.When cool, wet a sharp knife and cut the kuih lopes into serving sizes.
14.Remove banana leaves, coat kuih lopes with grated coconut and serve with palm sugar syrup.
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Thursday, June 14, 2012
This is my own version of Rock Melon Sago Dessert.
I'm submitting my post to Aspiring Bakers #20: Asian dessert buffet! (June 2012) hosted by Moon of Food Playground.
1/2 rock melon (about 850g)
1. Wash and drain sago.
2. Cook sago with water till sago turn translucent.
3. Drain and wash sago with cold water, set aside.
4. Remove skin and seed from rock melon.
5. Cut two slices of rock melon, diced it and set aside.
6. Cut balance of rock melon into big chunks.
7. Blend it together with 1/3cup of water till puree.
8. Strain puree and stir in honey.
9. Add in diced rock melon and sago.
10.Chill in fridge and serve.
Note: You can add more honey if you prefer sweeter, add more water if you prefer a more dilute puree. Instead of honey, you can boil some sugar syrup and
add into rock melon puree.
Sunday, June 10, 2012
It been ages I didn't make dumpling. So I started it off with this kee zhang, which is very basic. I'm very happy that everything turn out very well. I used 1kg of glutinous rice and it yielded 39 small dumplings. 39 dumplings wrapped and cook, 39 dumplings nicely cooked and I'm extremely happy. Hooray...success! :)
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
40g warm water
1tsp instant yeast
1/2tsp caster sugar
1tsp bread flour
250g bread flour
45g caster sugar
95g orange juice
1 egg yolk (about 20g)
70g mixed fruits
1. Mix warm water, yeast, 1tsp bread flour and 1/2tsp caster sugar together, cover and set aside to prove for 10-15mins.
2. Combine bread flour, sugar and salt in a mixer and mix well at low speed.
3. Add yeast dough from step no.1, orange juice and egg yolk into the dry ingredients.
4. Knead at medium speed until it form a dough.
5. Add in butter, continue to beat until it form a smooth and elastic dough.
6. Cover dough and let it proof for 50mins.
7. Add in mixed fruits, hand knead until well combined.
8. Cover dough and rest for another 10mins.
9. Divide dough into 9 equal portions, shape each dough into round ball.
10.Arrange it on a greased tray.
11.Cover and leave it to proof for 45mins until it doubled in size.
12.Preheat oven to 190C.
13.Bake in a preheated oven for 10mins until buns is brown.
14.Remove buns from tray, place it on a wire rack and brush surface with butter while it hot.
Saturday, June 2, 2012
200g cake flour
30g cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
40g light brown sugar/brown sugar
140g caster sugar
1tbsp instant coffee powder
1/2cup hot water
1tbsp golden syrup
100g dark chocolate
2 egg (lightly beaten)
150g dark chocolate
100g whipping cream
1. Heat up whipping cream.
2. Pour whipping cream into chocolate and stir till chocolate melted.
3. Add in butter and stir till butter melted.
4. Set it aside to set to a spreadable consistency.
1. Preheat oven to 165C.
2. Sift ingredients (A) together into a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Pour all the ingredients (B) into a sauce pan.
4. Simmer over low heat till sugar, butter and chocolate melted, remove from heat.
5. Pour liquid mixture slowly into dry ingredients and stir till well blended.
6. Pour in beaten egg and stir till well blended. (Do not over mix.)
7. Pour batter into a lined 8inches round tin.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40mins, if skewer comes out clean when inserted into cake then it done.
9. Leave cake to cool in pan for 5mins then remove and cool it on a wire rack.
1. Level surface by slicing off the top crust.
2. Spread ganache all over cake.
3. Chill in the fridge till ganache set.