Monday, June 1, 2009
Strawberry & Chocolate Lapis
Aiyo, this was the first time I made this time consuming cake. I only used half of the recipe and it took me 3 hours yet I can't complete the last chocolate layer, as I was rushing to fetch my son.:( The actual full recipe made 8 layers. I must said, once in a blue moon then I will make this cake again.:O
This cake may look heavy and moist but it was actually soft and moist.:)
50g sweet condensed milk
5 egg yolk
75g cake flour }sift
50g vanilla ice-cream powder }together
5 egg white
1/2tsp cream of tartar
50g caster sugar
1tsp strawberry paste
1tsp chocolate paste (or 1/2tbsp cocoa powder)
1. Beat butter and condensed milk together until light and fluffy.
2. Add in egg yolk, follow by kaya and beat until well combined.
3. Fold in the sifted flour until combined.
4. Whisk egg white and cream of tartar until frothy, gradually add in the sugar and beat until stiff peak.
5. Fold the meringue into the butter batter in 4 portions until well combined. (If mixture curdled, add in 1tbsp of flour and use mixer to beat until smooth. Don't over beat.)
6. Divide batter into two portions, add in paste and mix well.
7. Use a ladle, scoop some chocolate batter and pour into a lined 6" square tin.
8. Smooth surface, cover with foil and steam in a preheated steamer for 15mins or until cooked.
9. Pour some strawberry batter over the chocolate layer and steam for 25mins or until cooked.
10.Alternate the batter and steam each layer for 25mins or until cooked.
11.Ensure each layer is cooked through before pouring in the next layer.
12.Steam the last layer for 30-35mins.
13.Remove and cool on a wire rack.