Friday, June 25, 2010

Dulce de Leche Chiffon Cake

'An evening when everything goes wrong'
I intended to bake Dulce de Leche Pound Cake then I realized that I left 100g of butter. So I changed my mind to bake a chiffon cake instead and this was where all the disaster happened. :(


Firstly, while I was wiping the spill around the tube pan chimney, I accidentally tilt the chimney and batter leaked out from it base.
Next, my cake stuck in the pan as the previous batter leaked has caused the base to stick onto the pan. In the end, my tube pan was dented after forcing the base out from the pan.
Lastly, after the first shot, I intended to drizzle some caramel sauce over few slices of cake but ended up with another mess. :O


So here were the few slices left from my 'Rough' evening. The rest were either in the dustbin or in our tummies. I can only describe the evening as ‘祸不单行’.

The shortcut method which I adapted in preparing Dulce de Leche didn't give this chiffon cake a good caramel flavour. It taste more like milky chiffon cake. :(

Recipe

Ingredients
3 egg yolk
40g butter (melted)
1/4tsp salt
70g cake flour
70g Dulce de Leche
1tsp vanilla paste
40g milk

3 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
25g caster sugar

Step:
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Mix Dulce de Leche, vanilla and milk together, set aside.
3. Sift flour and salt together.
4. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolks, melted butter, Dulce de Leche mixture and flour together.
5. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
6. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
7. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
8. Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well combined.
9. Pour batter into a 20cm tube pan.
10.Put into a preheated oven and bake for 40mins.
11.Remove pan from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cool.
12.Remove from pan and serve.

14 comments:

kitlaura said...

Hi, sorry to hear all the mess-up being done, sometimes, a little accident can lead to many more to follow, just like dino effect. your cake still look yummy and soft. saw your ingredient list, it has this dulce de leche, can you tell me what is this ingredient. thanks for sharing
regards
lori

Angie's Recipes said...

Nothing looks wrong on your chiffon cake...on the contrary, it looks perfectly baked, very soft and fluffy. So cheer up!

Angie

busygran said...

It still looks good and soft despite everything. I can understand, I have had my share of such days!

Bakericious said...

Hi Happy Flour, your chiffon cake stil looks good though so many unlucky happening.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Angie's Recipes, Busygran and Jess,

All your kind words was a consolation for me, thanks. :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitlaura,

Thanks for your consolation. :)
Dulce de leche is a Spanish word for milk caramel. You can check out my previous post 'Dulce de leche Mini Tortes'.

DG said...

Such a coincidence, I am baking chiffon this weekend too. Actually if you never tell us about the hiccup incident, we will never know it. Your chiffon looks good to me. Perfect :)

Happy Homebaker said...

despite all the mishaps, your cake looks so good! 塞翁失马 what a good excuse to buy a new chiffon pan :):)

Kitchen Corner said...

For me, this is a perfect chiffon cake! It's soft and fluffy in texture although there had a little accident but it's still looking good!

Happy Flour said...

Hi DG, Happy Homebaker and Kitchen Corner,

Thanks, like what you all had said, despite all the incident the chiffon cake still turn out well. But I'm disappointed with the taste. :(

Juliana said...

Wow, in spite of the "mess", the cake looks beautiful...so light and fluffy :-)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Juliana,

Thanks for your kind words. :)

B'jac Fashions said...

hi! i dont have Dulce de Leche but can i replace with 70g melted butter + 40g butter? to make a butter chiffon? i was told chiffon cant make as a butter chiffon cake as its butter will cause the chiffon not fluffy. Please advise

Happy Flour said...

Hi B,jac Fashions,

Please refer to my past post on Scorching Butter Chiffon Cake.