'An evening when everything goes wrong'
I intended to bake Dulce de Leche Pound Cake then I realized that I left 100g of butter. So I changed my mind to bake a chiffon cake instead and this was where all the disaster happened. :(
Firstly, while I was wiping the spill around the tube pan chimney, I accidentally tilt the chimney and batter leaked out from it base.
Next, my cake stuck in the pan as the previous batter leaked has caused the base to stick onto the pan. In the end, my tube pan was dented after forcing the base out from the pan.
Lastly, after the first shot, I intended to drizzle some caramel sauce over few slices of cake but ended up with another mess. :O
So here were the few slices left from my 'Rough' evening. The rest were either in the dustbin or in our tummies. I can only describe the evening as ‘祸不单行’.
The shortcut method which I adapted in preparing Dulce de Leche didn't give this chiffon cake a good caramel flavour. It taste more like milky chiffon cake. :(
3 egg yolk
40g butter (melted)
70g cake flour
70g Dulce de Leche
1tsp vanilla paste
3 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
25g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Mix Dulce de Leche, vanilla and milk together, set aside.
3. Sift flour and salt together.
4. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolks, melted butter, Dulce de Leche mixture and flour together.
5. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
6. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
7. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
8. Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well combined.
9. Pour batter into a 20cm tube pan.
10.Put into a preheated oven and bake for 40mins.
11.Remove pan from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cool.
12.Remove from pan and serve.