Monday, June 7, 2010

Buttercream



Recipe from 'okashi sweet treats made with love' by Keiko Ishida.

Recipe

Ingredients
400g unsalted butter (softened)
140g egg white
140g icing sugar
1tbsp orange or cherry liqueur (optional)

Steps:
1. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
2. Gradually add in the icing sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form but not dry, set aside.
3. Beat the butter until pale and creamy.
4. Add the meringue some at a time into the creamed butter and whisk until well blended then repeat procedure. (Make sure that the whipped butter and meringue are well mix together to avoid the buttercream separating.)
5. Add in orange or cherry liqueur and mix well.
6. Keep buttercream in an air tight container and store in the fridge.

Note: I made half of the recipe and yield about 320g of buttercream.

11 comments:

busygran said...

I used to make this type of buttercream but I have stopped because the egg white is raw. It taste good because it's not so sweet.

WendyinKK said...

Oh..so the egg whites are truly raw and not even heated.

I love real buttercream. Those at bakeries are nothing compared to homemade ones.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will keep this recipe for my future Birthday cake for my kids.

DG said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. How long can we keep in the fridge? Do we need to beat it again, once we stored in the fridge?

Happy Flour said...

Hi Busygran and Wendyywy,

When I saw this recipe, I also hesitated because the egg white is raw. But I remembered royal icing also uses raw egg white so I just go ahead and give this a try. It is as good as Italian meringue buttercream.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Sonia,

You're welcome. Happy baking. :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi DG,

I still have half left in the fridge for more than a week already. It still as tasty. You just have to thaw it till spreadable consistence and use it straight away, no need to beat it again.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm a daily silent reader of your fantastic blog.Good job n thx for sharing al your bakes. Can I know which gadget do u use when u beat in the creamy butter into the meringue...ballon whisk or k-beater? Thx for your advise.

Snoopy

Happy Flour said...

Hi Snoopy,

Thanks for your compliment. :)

For the whole process I used balloon whisk.

Anonymous said...

after mixing butter to egg white mixture do we need to whisk it or again run on eletric mixer because u said repeated procedure i didnt get u
sorry for the silly question

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

Add in some meringue first beat until well blended then add in some meringue again beat until well blended again, repeat the steps. Do not add in too much meringue at a time, it will curdle.