Sunday, June 20, 2010

Steamed Pumpkin Custard

I have been craving for pumpkin since I saw some blogs posted their drooling Pumpkin Bakes and Desserts. ;p


When I saw this small pumpkin at the vegetable store, I didn't hesitate and quickly buy it. I intended to make something simple which I can enjoy the pumpkin itself. So here I made this 'Steamed Pumpkin Custard'.


I didn't use any particular recipe. I mainly mixed 1 egg with some milk (I preferred a firm custard so I used less milk.), some sugar to taste, few drops of vanilla essence and dash of cinnamon powder. Strain and pour it into the cavity of the pumpkin. Steam for 15mins at medium-low heat.


Unfortunately, I forgotten to lower the fire during steaming (attending to my mischievous boys) as a result the surface appeared rough, the cap was too soft and broke into two pieces. :( Although it didn't turn out perfect but it taste great. Yum...yum... :)

6 comments:

WendyinKK said...

I only tried this once in 2003. Steaming this is really a challenge, to low heat and it takes forever, then high then it curdles.

But I really love this, made with coconut milk, sweetened with palm sugar :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Wendyywy,

Ya, I agree with you. Mine didn't turn out smoothly because I used less liquid and also due to the high heat during steaming.

Angie's Recipes said...

It sounds quite like a challenge to make a perfect pumpkin custard, but then as long as it tastes wonderful...I shall not hesitate at all to try it myself.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Angie's Recipes,

If you want to get a smooth custard, you can use steam-bake method. I just want to do it in a shorter time and easy way method (steaming).

Kitchen Corner said...

Something very special to me! Pumpkin very healthy stuff! I like this one!

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

Thanks for dropping by. :)