Last Sunday, we didn't get to celebrate Mother's Day as my nephews and my son are preparing for their exam. What a relief, 'Exam' is over now. :) So this weekend I made a Yam Cream Cake for my Mum, a belated Mother's Day Gift for her.
'Sign... :(' I don't find much improvement in my piping skill. I do understand what is the reason. It was because I didn't practice my piping skill very often. I think I have to put it this way as I dislike washing the oily piping tips so I seldom practice piping. I only do piping on my cake for special occasion. I think some of you out there also share the same view as me.
Those who are interested in self-learned simple piping technique, you may visit You Tube and view the demonstration of Shell border and Buttercream Rose. Happy piping. :)
3 egg yolks
60g castor sugar
40g veg. oil
1/4tsp vanilla essence
110g cake flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1tbsp milk powder
3 egg whites
50g fine sugar
1/8tsp cream of tartar
200g yam (steam and mashed)
60g coconut milk
200g whipped cream
1/2tsp yam paste
200g whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Use a hand whisk and mix (A) together.
3. Sift (B) and mix into (A).
4. Stir till well blended and set aside.
5. Use a cake mixer and whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
6. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till medium stiff peaks form.
7. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
8. Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well blended.
9. Pour batter into a lined and greased 8" round tin.
10.Bake in the preheated oven for 30mins.
11.Remove cake from the tin and set aside to cool.
1. Boil water and sugar together until sugar dissolved.
2. Pour in the coconut milk and yam.
3. Stir over low fire until mixture is almost dry.
4. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
5. Mix the cool yam paste, whipped cream and yam paste together until well blended.
(Note: You can skip the cooking part for the yam if your yam is moist and starchy. Just mix the mashed yam with whipped cream and yam paste, you may also add in some coconut powder.)
1. Slice sponge cake horizontally into three pieces.
2. Place a slice of sponge cake on a cake board, spread the yam filling over it and place another slice over it.
3. Spread with filling again and place the last slices on it.
4. Cover the whole cake with whipped cream and decorate as desire.