Saturday, May 15, 2010

Yam Cream Cake

Last Sunday, we didn't get to celebrate Mother's Day as my nephews and my son are preparing for their exam. What a relief, 'Exam' is over now. :) So this weekend I made a Yam Cream Cake for my Mum, a belated Mother's Day Gift for her.

'Sign... :(' I don't find much improvement in my piping skill. I do understand what is the reason. It was because I didn't practice my piping skill very often. I think I have to put it this way as I dislike washing the oily piping tips so I seldom practice piping. I only do piping on my cake for special occasion. I think some of you out there also share the same view as me.


Those who are interested in self-learned simple piping technique, you may visit You Tube and view the demonstration of Shell border and Buttercream Rose. Happy piping. :)


Recipe

Ingredients
Sponge cake:
(A)
3 egg yolks
60g castor sugar
1/4tsp salt
40g veg. oil
70g water
1/4tsp vanilla essence

(B)
110g cake flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1tbsp milk powder

(C)
3 egg whites
50g fine sugar
1/8tsp cream of tartar

Yam filling:
200g yam (steam and mashed)
40g sugar
60g coconut milk
50g water

200g whipped cream
1/2tsp yam paste

Decoration:
200g whipped cream

Steps:
Sponge cake:
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Use a hand whisk and mix (A) together.
3. Sift (B) and mix into (A).
4. Stir till well blended and set aside.
5. Use a cake mixer and whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
6. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till medium stiff peaks form.
7. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
8. Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well blended.
9. Pour batter into a lined and greased 8" round tin.
10.Bake in the preheated oven for 30mins.
11.Remove cake from the tin and set aside to cool.

Yam filling:
1. Boil water and sugar together until sugar dissolved.
2. Pour in the coconut milk and yam.
3. Stir over low fire until mixture is almost dry.
4. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
5. Mix the cool yam paste, whipped cream and yam paste together until well blended.
(Note: You can skip the cooking part for the yam if your yam is moist and starchy. Just mix the mashed yam with whipped cream and yam paste, you may also add in some coconut powder.)

Assemble cake:
1. Slice sponge cake horizontally into three pieces.
2. Place a slice of sponge cake on a cake board, spread the yam filling over it and place another slice over it.
3. Spread with filling again and place the last slices on it.
4. Cover the whole cake with whipped cream and decorate as desire.

20 comments:

Bakericious said...

Happy Flour, the cake looks very sweet and pretty, u r too humble.

ann low said...

A very beautiful Mother's day cake and yummy too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, your cake looks amazing to me. could you please share some tips how to make the whipped cream frosting looks so smooth on the cake? I have no problem with buttercream, but whipped cream frosting is so hard to smooth out. thanks so much.
Lissa.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Bakericious and Anncoo,

Thanks for your compliment. :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Lissa,

Thanks, first I covered the whole cake with whipping cream, smooth out the surface and let it chill in the fridge for a while. Then I'll smooth out the uneven surface again. Hope this help.

Ms. Saranghae said...

I will try tis cake soon, it has been quite sometime i'm looking for yam cake...your piping deco looks great.

if u just hate to wash your piping bag, u could use plastic piping bag, once you finish with the deco, u could throw the plastic away (but not environmental friendly)...the choice is yours...:))

Happy Flour said...

Hi L.O.V.E,

Thanks for your great words, and kind advice. :)

DG said...

Your piping skill looks fabulous to me, somemore you are self-learned it. Wouw ... thumb up. :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi DG,

Thanks for your compliment. :)

hanushi said...

Hi Happy Flour,
wanna ask you about the following ingredient
1) 60g coconut -> is this refering to coconut milk?
2) 200g whipped cream -> is this dairy or non-dairy whipped cream?
3) 1/2tsp yam paste -> where did you get your yam paste, can you recommend the brand that you are using? :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Hanushi,

Sorry for my typing error.
- 60g coconut milk
- I used non-dairy whipping cream.
- You can get yam paste from Phoon Huat, Sun Lik or any bakery mart.

hanushi said...

Hi Happy Flour,

Thanks for clarifying!

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

The sponge cake has such great volume after we removed it from the oven, but it deflated significantly while cooling. I think we left it in the pan too long to cool. Do you need to remove the cake from the pan right after taking it out of the oven?

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

Sponge cake will shrink slightly during cooling but not deflate. I normally prefer to remove cake from pan and let it cool on a wire rack. Some may like to cool cake in the pan by inverting the pan up side down (like cooling chiffon cake) and cool it on a wire rack so to retain moisture in the cake.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback, Happy Flour. I tried the sponge cake again (I did your chocolate hazelnut cake this time!) and removed the cake from the pan immediately after removing from the oven. The cake did not deflate as severely this time. Your blog is great and I have used several of your recipes so far. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy Flour,

Our cake turned out flat and eggy. What might you think went wrong?

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

Either you had over fold the egg white till all the egg bubbles were deflated or the egg white was not whisk till it stable stage when you fold into the egg yolk batter.

jin said...

Hi, I would like to ask the part mix the cool yam paste and whipping cream, do i need to beat the whipping cream first? or jus mix it together? thanks

Happy Flour said...

Hi Jin,

Sorry for the late reply. The cream have to be whipped before folding in yam paste.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe on the yam cream. It was wonderful!