Monday, May 10, 2010
Recipe from 'Chilled Desserts from the Japanese Kitchen'.
1 large apple
1tbsp lemon juice (I used 2tsp of lemon juice)
1 1/2cup peach juice (I replaced it with apple juice.)
4g kanten powder
1. Peel the apple skin, remove core and cut it into small cubes.
2. Put apple, sugar, lemon juice and apple juice into a saucepan.
3. Simmer over low heat until apple softened and the liquid has reduced.
4. Puree the apple mixture until smooth in a food processor, set aside to cool.
5. Pour water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the kanten powder into the water.
6. Simmer over low heat until powder dissolved, stirring constantly. (The kanten mixture should be smooth not lumpy or grainy and thicken like gel.)
7. Gradually add the kanten mixture into the apple puree and mix well until smooth.
8. Moisten the mould and pour apple kanten mixture into the mould.
9. Leave it to cool and chill in the fridge for 2 hours until set.