Thursday, July 9, 2009
Steamed Caramel Cake
95g thick coconut milk
85g plain flour
1/2tsp baking soda
1. Melt sugar in a pot until golden brown.
2. Add in water slowly and bring to boil.(thick caramel syrup)
3. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
4. Sift flour and baking soda together and set aside.
5. Whisk the eggs, salt and sugar together until light and fluffy.(Do the ribbon test: Use the whisk to spoon some batter, drip some into the mixing bowl. If it stay visible for a while then this is the right stage.)
6. Switch the mixer speed to low, add in the caramel syrup and coconut milk.
7. Lightly fold in the flour and set aside to rest for 30mins.
8. Spoon batter into moulds till 90% full.
9. Steam in a preheated steamer at high heat for 15-20mins till done.
10.Remove from moulds and cool on a wire rack.