Monday, December 1, 2008
Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake
Adapted Recipe from 'Chiffon Cake is Done' by Kevin Chai.
4 egg yolk
3tbsp cooking oil
95g cake flour
1/4tsp baking powder
95g gula melaka (chopped)
65g thick coconut milk
4 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
30g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Melt gula melaka and coconut milk together over low fire.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
5. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolk, oil, gula melaka syrup and flour together.
6. Whisk until well combined.
7. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
8. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
9. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
10.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly until well combined.
11.Pour batter into a 21cm tube pan.
12.Put into a preheated oven and bake for 40-45mins.
13.Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cool.
14.Remove from pan and serve.