Saturday, September 13, 2008
Butter Skin with Custard Paste Mooncake
This is a good combination. :) The custard filling will not cause the pastry to be soft non soggy. I adapted Aunty Yochana's homemade custard filling from recipe 'Bird's Nest Custard Filling Snow Skin Mooncake'.
My custard filling seem to be dry. I suspect the problem could be lie on the egg as nowadays I paid the price of large egg but I get the size of a medium egg. 'Prices up, quantity shrink'. :(
So what I did with the custard, I blended them with some milk until soft bread crumb. The mixture must be soft to press together and shape into balls. As usual I prepared the filling a day ahead.
60g icing sugar
145g plain flour
20g custard powder
1/4tsp baking powder
360g custard paste
1. Cream butter, shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg until well combined.
3. Sift flour, custard powder and baking powder together.
4. Fold in the flour mixture into the creamed butter to form a soft dough.
5. At this stage you may add in some milk if dough is too dry or add in some flour if dough is too wet.
6. Wrap the dough up and let it rest in the fridge for 20mins.
1. Divide the custard paste into 9 portions of 40g each.
2. Shape them into balls.
1. Divide dough into 9 portions of 37g each.
2. Dust the surface, rolling pin and mould lightly with flour.
3. Roll out the dough, leave the centre slightly thicker than the edge.
4. Wrap the dough with the custard paste and seal the edges.
5. Press into the mould and plunge it out slowly.
6. Place it on a greased tray.
7. Brush with egg yolk and bake in a preheated oven 175C for 20-25mins. (1 egg yolk mix with 1tsp of water)
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack.