Sunday, May 27, 2012
Crystal Bun with Red Bean Paste and Ginkgo Seed (豆沙白果水晶包)
Recipe from 'Reviving Street Hawker' by Pang Nyuk Yoon.
Following is half portion from the original recipe. Felt disappointed, the texture of the skin does not taste as chewy 'QQ' as I expect. It skin just taste like Har Gow skin(Shrimp dumpling). ;(
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.
Ingredients (yield about 15buns)
100g sago powder
1tbsp wheat starch (澄面粉)
25g tapioca flour
1 1/2tbsp shallot oil
red bean paste
ginkgo seed (a pack of ready to use ginkgo seed or canned ginkgo seed)
1. Divide red bean paste into 20g each.
2. Wrap a ginkgo seed in red bean paste and roll it into ball, set aside.
1. Boil water, remove 50ml of water first.
2. Add sago powder, wheat starch and tapioca flour into boiling hot water, quickly stir well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add in oil, mix till soft dough and no trace of lump of flour in it. (Add in some more hot water if you find that the dough is dry or hard.)
4. Hand knead dough till smooth. (Be careful as dough is still very hot.)
5. Cover dough to prevent dough from drying and turn hard. )
1. Place a piece of clean banana leaf on steaming tray.
2. Grease leaf with oil and set aside.
3. Weigh 14g dough and roll it out into thin piece.
4. Wrap filling and seal opening.
5. Arrange buns on steaming tray, brush surface with oil.
6. Steam in a preheated steamer over high heat for 10mins.
7. Dish out and serve. (You may brush buns with oil again to give it a shine.)