Friday, May 18, 2012
Orange Soufflé Cake
3 egg yolk
1/2 egg (about 30g)
50g orange juice
1tsp orange zest
35g veg. oil
1/4tsp orange paste
40g cake flour
3 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Line base of a 7" loose base square tin with grease proof paper and wrap base and surrounding with foil, set aside.
3. Sift flour and set aside.
4. Mix orange juice, zest, oil and orange paste together and set aside.
5. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolks, half egg, sugar and salt together.
6. Add in liquid mixture and whisk till combined.
7. Add in flour and stir until batter is smooth.
8. Use a cake mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
9. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
10.Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
11.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions until well combined.
12.Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
13.Placed batter filled cake tin into another bigger cake tin.
14.Steam-bake cake in a preheated oven for 50-55mins.
15.Remove cake at once from tin and cool it on a wire rack.
Note: The recipe uses less flour which meant that the cake has a low gluten content to maintain it volume after it is baked. In other word the cake will shrink in height and width during cooling, so don't worry. This is a cotton soft moist cake.