Sunday, May 6, 2012
Strawberry Soufflé Cake （相思在草梅）
3 egg yolk
1/2 egg (about 30g)
50g strawberry milk
35g veg. oil
1/4tsp strawberry paste
40g cake flour
3 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Line base of a 7" loose base square tin with grease proof paper and wrap base and surrounding with foil, set aside.
3. Sift flour and set aside.
4. Mix milk, oil and strawberry paste together and set aside.
5. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolks, half egg, sugar and salt together.
6. Add in liquid mixture and whisk till combined.
7. Add in flour and stir until batter is smooth.
8. Use a cake mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
9. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
10.Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
11.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions until well combined.
12.Spoon 1tbsp of cake batter and mix with a drop of pink food colouring.
13.Pour the plain batter into prepared cake tin.
14.Drop few drops of pink batter onto plain batter, use a skewer and stir the pink batter around to create a swirl effects.
15.Placed batter filled cake tin into another bigger cake tin.
16.Steam-bake cake in a preheated oven for 50-55mins.
17.Remove cake at once from tin and cool it on a wire rack.
Note: The recipe uses less flour which meant that the cake has a low gluten content to maintain it volume after it is baked. In other word the cake will shrink in height and width during cooling, so don't worry. This is a cotton soft moist cake.