Sunday, November 23, 2008
Peanut Butter Macarons
Ingredients (Swiss Meringue)
80g egg white (at room temperature)
65g caster sugar
80g ground almond
140g icing sugar
brown colouring powder
1. Line 3 to 4 baking trays with silicon sheet.
2. Use a round cookies cutter, press it into some cocoa powder or flour.
3. Use the cookies cutter to make some round imprint on the silicon sheet and set aside.
4. Sift icing sugar and almond together and set aside.
5. Pour sugar and egg white into a heatproof pan and place it over a saucepan of simmering water.
6. Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch (about 55C).
7. Pour the egg white into the mixing bowl with the whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks then add in the powder colouring.
8. Continue to beat until medium stiff peaks (but not dry).
9. Gently fold in the sifted mixture in 4 portions into the meringue. Do not over fold. (Batter should be slightly thicker then cake batter.)
10. Spoon batter into a piping bag and pipe it within the round imprint which had made earlier on.
11.Let the macarons to rest for 30mins.
12.Preheat oven to 150C.
13.Bake a tray at a time for 20-25mins, depend on individual oven. (For my table top oven, I switch to bottom fire with fan mode so my macarons are bake properly without any crack. After baking the 3rd tray, I leave the door of the oven eject for a while then I put in the 4th tray. This allow the temperature to drop slightly.)
14.Remove macarons and cool on a wire rack.
15.Pipe the butter cream around the macaron and then pipe some peanut butter in the centre.
16.Sandwich with another macaron together.
17.Keep in the fridge to let the filling firm.