Saturday, November 8, 2008
Adapted recipe from 'Steamed Cake & Kuih Muih' by Mrs Ho and Karen Tan. I used half of the recipe and replaced pandan juice with water. After proving I divided the batter into two portions. One portion I added Yam paste while the other I add Pandan paste. It yield about 8 kuehs. This kueh is best eaten while it hot, it rather hard and dry when cold.
1tsp instant yeast
50g warm water
115g cake flour/ plain flour
1tsp double-action baking powder
140g rice flour
200g thick coconut milk
20g pandan juice
1. Mix yeast, sugar and water together and set aside to prove for 10mins.
2. Boil sugar, water and pandan juice together until sugar is dissolved and leave to cool.
3. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
4. Mix syrup and coconut milk together.
5. Stir in the rice flour and sifted flour into the liquid until smooth batter.
6. Lastly add in the yeast mixture and stir until well combined.
7. Leave to prove for 1 1/2hrs until double in size.
8. Spoon the batter into a greased mould about 90% full.
9. Steam in the preheated steamer at high heat for 25mins.
10. Remove kueh from mould and leave to cool on a wire rack.