Monday, August 1, 2011

Belgian Waffle




You can get pearl sugar from Bakery mart(Sun Lik) or buy a package of sugar cubes and crash it into smaller pieces.

Last weekend, I did some searching on the internet for Belgian waffle recipe. After some reading I realized that there are two types of Belgian waffle, namely Brussels Waffle (bigger in size, less sweet and serve with topping) and Liege Waffle (smaller in size either circle or oval, dense and sweeter). You can refer here for more information.

From the above two waffles which I mentioned, I decided to try Liege waffle but after looking though the recipe I began to hesitate. It too...oily and too...sweet. So as usual, I mortify the recipe and created a recipe which is suitable for my family taste bud. The recipe turn out very well. :) My family gave a thumbs up and my elder boy commented that it tasted like the Belgian waffle we used to buy from 'Four Leaves' cake shop. However I don't think it perfect as I don't own a good waffle maker which has a deep indentation on waffle.

Recipe

Ingredients (yield about 9 waffles)
150g bread flour
75g self-rising flour
1/2tsp salt
1tbsp sugar
1tsp instant dry yeast
1 egg
1/2tsp vanilla paste
95g butter (melted)
125ml water/milk/sparkling mineral water (You can used soda water or ice-cream soda.)
55g pearl sugar (You may add more to give the waffle a nice caramelize colour.)

1/4tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp icing sugar

Steps:
1. Mix yeast and water together, cover and set aside for 5-10mins.
2. Sift bread flour, self-rising flour and salt together into cake mixer bowl.
3. Add in sugar and mix well.
4. Mix egg and vanilla paste into the yeast solution.
5. Pour liquid into the dry ingredients.
6. Attach 'K' beater to the mixer, beat the mixture till it well blended.
7. Slowly pour in the melted butter and beat for another 5mins until it form a sticky dough.
8. Cover and set aside to prove for an hour till dough double in size.
9. Use a metal spoon knock down the dough.
10.Add in Pearl sugar and mix well.
11.Cover and let it rest for another 10mins.
12.Preheat waffle maker and lightly greased.
13.Scoop two dough and drop it onto the waffle plate, keep both dough apart.
14.Close the lid and cook until golden brown. (Follow manufacturer's instructions)
15.Mix icing sugar and ground cinnamon together.
16.Dusting waffles with cinnamon icing powder and serve.

9 comments:

ann low said...

I think your Belgian waffle look perfect. I must get the waffle machine to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

DG said...

Your waffle looks soft & fluffy. The pattern looks pretty too!

Little blue said...

I can feel the texture is really soft...

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anncoo,

I'm using 'Severin' brand waffle maker and I find that it not so good. If I make a whole waffle, the thickness and brownness of the waffle is uneven. For this brand they came out a new model however I has doubt on it too. Go hunt for other brand instead.

Happy Flour said...

Hi DG and 篮色小厨,

Both of you have a pair of sharp eyes. The texture indeed is soft.

MnYfoodtalk said...

I get to know belgian waffle when I first ate it in Japan. I fall in love with it. Happy to see your recipe but too bad I do not have the waffle maker with me now.

Yummy Bakes said...

Your Belgian waffles look so delicious.

Happy Flour said...

Hi MnY,

Don't be sad, get a waffle maker and you can try it.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Yummy Bakes,

Thanks. :)