Monday, August 8, 2011
Sweet Potato Pie
This morning, I baked this delicious Sweet Potato pie. Hehehe...unfortunately, it was not nicely baked. I left my pie baking in the oven while I rushed my boy to school for his National Day Celebration. When I checked on the pie, ooooh... the top cracked and it's slightly burnt on the crust. Aiyaya, should be I forgotten to shift the baking rack lower. Luckily, this didn't affect the taste and texture of the pie. Overall the pie taste great. :)
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #10: Easy as Pie (August 2011), hosted by Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink!
65g unsalted butter
35g brown sugar
95g plain flour
30g rice flour
400g sweet potato (skinned and diced)
80g demerara sugar/ caster sugar (adjust sugar amount according to the sweetness of the sweet potato)
1/2tsp vanilla paste
1/8tsp ground cinnamon
1. Sift plain flour, rice flour and salt together, set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Slowly beat in egg until well combined.
4. Fold in flour into Step 3 and mix to form soft dough.
5. Wrap the dough and let it rest in the fridge for 30mins.
6. Place dough on a piece of cling wrap and place a piece of grease proof paper over it.
7. Roll out dough to about the diameter of an 8inches pie tin.
8. Remove grease proof paper and slowly place dough into pie tin.
9. Gently press it into the tin, remove cling wrap.
10.Roll the rolling pin over the top of the tin to trim off excess dough.
11.Wrap it up and rest in the fridge for 30mins. (You can prepare the pastry a day ahead.)
1. Microwave sweet potato till soft about 8mins.
2. Blend sweet potato till puree.
3. Add in sugar, salt, vanilla paste, ground cinnamon, egg and butter and blend till well combined.
4. Slowly pour in milk and blend till well combined.
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Remove tarts from fridge and thaw for 10mins.
3. Pour sweet potato filling into prepared pie dough.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30mins or until surface is browned.
5. Remove pie from oven and cool it on a wire rack.