Monday, July 4, 2011
Pandan Kaya Swiss Roll
I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #9 - Swiss Rolling Good Times (July 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food.
200ml coconut milk (Kara brand)
2 large egg
2tbsp pandan juice
1tbsp corn flour
1tbsp plain flour
3blades pandan leaf
(If you prefer a stronger pandan flavor, add 1/4tsp of pandan paste.)
3 egg white
70g caster sugar
4 egg yolk
45g cake flour
10g rice flour/corn flour
40g veg. oil
1/3tsp pandan paste
1. Mix coconut milk, eggs, corn flour, plain flour and pandan juice together until well combined.
2. Strain mixture into a saucepan, add in sugar and pandan leaves.
3. Cook over low fire, stir constantly until mixture thicken. (Do not over cook it, once kaya is too thick it will turn lumpy and will be difficult to spread on cake.)
4. Discard pandan leaves and set aside to cool.
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Lined and greased a 10" by 13" tray, set aside.
3. Sift cake flour, corn flour and salt together, set aside.
4. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites until foamy.
5. Add in sugar gradually and whisk till stiff peaks form.
6. Switch mixer speed to medium and slowly add in egg yolks and pandan paste, whisk for another minute till well blended.
7. Fold flour into the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well blended.
8. Lastly fold veg. oil into the batter until well blended.
9. Pour batter in the prepared tray.
10.Bake in a preheated oven for 10mins.
11.Remove cake from tray and cool on a rack with the skin facing up.
Assemble the cake:
1. Carefully transfer the cake onto a greaseproof paper with the skin facing down.
2. Spread pandan kaya on the cake.
3. Gently roll the cake by using the paper to lift the cake and guide roll.
4. Rest the roll in the fridge to stabilize it shape.
5. Remove, slice and serve.
( Note:This is a difference recipe from my past post on Pandan Kaya Swiss Roll.)