Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Chocolate Toffee Roll
I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #9 - Swiss Rolling Good Times (July 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food.
45g brown sugar
40g whipping cream
40g toffee syrup
100g whipping cream (whipped)
3 egg (separated)
1/2tsp chocolate paste
45g cake flour
2tsp cocoa powder
1/4tsp baking powder
40g butter (melted)
35g toasted nut (chopped)
(Use any type of nuts of your choice. I used 'Kangaroo' brand Teriyaki cashew nuts.)
1. Pour everything into a small saucepan, cook over low fire.
2. Boil until syrup just thicken.
3. Remove from fire and set aside to cool.
1. Fold in 40g of toffee syrup into whipped cream until well blended. (You may add in more toffee syrup.)
2. Cover and chill in fridge.
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Lined and greased a 9" by 12" tray and set aside.
3. Sift cake flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together, set aside.
4. Use a cake mixer, whisk the egg whites till frothy.
5. Gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
6. Switch speed to medium and gradually add in egg yolks and chocolate paste,
whisk for another 1min until well combined.
7. Fold flour into the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well blended.
8. Lastly fold in melted butter into the batter until well combined.
9. Pour batter in the prepared tray and smooth the surface.
10.Bake in a preheated oven for 10mins.
11.Remove cake from tray and cool on a rack with the skin facing up.
Assemble the cake:
1. Carefully transfer the cake onto a greaseproof paper.
2. Spread toffee cream on sponge and scatter chopped nut around.
3. Gently roll sponge by using the paper to lift the cake and guide roll.
6. Wrap up swiss roll in a greaseproof paper.
7. Rest roll in fridge to stabilize it shape.
8. Remove, slice and serve.