Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Orange Hot Cross Cake (香橙拜拜蛋糕)
Recipe source is from Qi Qi In The House -香橙拜拜蛋糕.
Following is the recipe with small adjustment.
3 egg yolk (50g)
24g veg. oil
2tbsp orange juice
35g orange puree
60g cake flour (sifted)
2 egg white (100g)
1. Wash an orange and put it in a pot of water, water must cover over orange.
2. Simmer it over low heat for half an hour till a chopstick can poke though the orange.
3. Remove orange and leave it to cool.
4. Cut orange into small piece and remove seeds.
5. Put orange in a blender and blend till puree.
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. With a hand whisk mix juice, oil and orange puree together in a big bowl.
3. Mix in flour till combined.
4. Add in egg yolk and mix till combined.
5. In a clean bowl whisk egg whites till frothy.
6. Gradually add in sugar and whisk till medium peaks form.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk batter until combined.
8. Pour the cake batter into meringue and fold till blended.
9. Pour batter into a 6inches loose base round pan.
10.Put into preheated oven and bake for 12mins till a layer of crust form on it surface or surface is slightly browned.
11.Remove cake pan from oven and with a sharp knife cut a cross on cake surface. (A deep cut will give a nicer crack.)
12.Return pan into oven and lower the temperature to 165C.
13.Bake for another 12-15mins till cook though.
14.Remove cake pan from oven, invert pan onto another loose base cake pan and cool it on wire rack. (Refer to bottom photo)