Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Palm Sugar Steamed Buns
30g warm water
1tsp instant yeast
200g Hong Kong flour/ pau flour
1/2tsp baking powder
60g palm sugar
1. Mix yeast and warm water together, set aside for 10-15mins.
2. Simmer water and palm sugar together till sugar dissolved, set aside to cool.
3. Sift flour and baking powder onto a clean surface and make a well in the centre.
4. Pour yeast mixture, syrup and shortening into the centre of the well.
5. Stir in flour and knead with your palm till a smooth and soft dough is formed. (You may need to add some flour if the dough is sticky.)
6. Cover and set aside to rest for 30mins.
7. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for a while.
8. Cover and set aside to rest for 10mins.
9. Flatten dough and roll out dough into long rectangular, trim 4 edges to get straight lines.
10.Roll up the dough from the wider side.
11.With a shape knife cut into 10 equal pieces.
12.Place it on a square(6x6cm) grease proof paper.
13.Cover and let it rest for 30mins.
14.Preheat steamer, bring water to a rapid boiling.
15.Arrange buns on steaming rack with some gap in between buns for expansion.
16.Steam buns over medium heat for 10mins.