Saturday, July 7, 2012
Ban Chien Kuih (曼煎糕)
Ingredients (yield 5 kuihs -20cm diameter)
25ml warm water
3/4tsp instant yeast
1tsp plain flour
130g plain flour
50g rice flour
20g custard powder
1/2tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
100g groundnut (roasted and coarsely milled)
40g caster sugar
1. Mix milled groundnut and sugar together and set aside.
1. Mix all ingredients together till well blended.
2. Cover and set aside.
1. Sift plain flour, rice flour, custard powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together, set aside.
2. With a hand-held electric whisk, whisk egg and sugar till sugar dissolved and batter turn pale.
3. Pour egg batter into flour mixture and whisk at low speed till well blended.
4. Add in yeast dough and continue to whisk till well blended.
5. Lastly pour in water in a slow stream and whisk till batter is free of lumps.
6. Cover and set aside to rest for 45mins.
1. Heat up a non-stick pan and lightly greased.
2. Ladle in some batter onto heated pan.
3. Cover with lid and cook over medium low heat till kuih become bubbly on the surface.
4. Scatter filling around kuih and cook for a while.
5. With a spatula fold half portion of the kuih over, dish out and serve.