Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Steamed Malay Cake (马来糕)
I added in a few more drops of colouring after the last stage of mixing and it resulted a strong yellowish 马来糕. :(
110g caster sugar
125g Hong Kong flour
20g custard powder
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/4tsp vanilla paste
65g veg. oil
few drops of yellow food colouring
1. Sift flour, custard powder, baking powder and baking soda together and set aside.
2. Whisk eggs, salt and sugar together until thick and fluffy.
3. Lightly fold in flour into egg batter.
4. Cover and rest for 45mins.
5. Mix vanilla paste, colouring and oil together.
6. Lastly fold in oil mixture into batter until well blended.
7. Fill well greased moulds with cake batter till full.
8. Arrange moulds in steamer.
9. Steam in a preheated steamer over medium high heat for 30mins.
10.Remove cake from mould and cool it on a wire rack.
Note: It important to well greased the moulds for cakes to rise tall. If not the cakes will stick to the mould and result a heavy texture.