Friday, March 25, 2016
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (March 2015 Event: Honey) organized by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Doreen (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Joyce (joycescapade.com).
4 egg (240g)
2 egg yolk
75g raw sugar
100g bread flour
30g cake flour
1tbsp mirin (sweet cooking rice wine)
2tbsp veg. oil
1. Double lined wooden mould with excess grease proof paper dangling over it and place it in a baking tray.
2. Preheat oven to 170C.
3. Sift both flours twice and set aside.
4. Mix honey, mirin, milk and oil together and set aside.
5. With a hand whisk, whisk eggs, yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl over a pot of simmer hot water. (Base of mixing bowl not touching water.)
6. Keep whisking till the egg mixture reach about 40C. (warm to touch)
7. Remove from simmering water, pour egg into cake mixer bowl.
8. Whisk at high speed for 5mins till it increase in volume and pale yellow.
9. Reduce speed to medium-low and continue to whisk till it light and fluffy where only few tiny air bubbles can be seen, it take about 10-15mins or slightly longer.
10.Reduce speed to low and continue to whisk for another 5 minute.
11.Sift flour in 3 batches into egg batter and fold in till well blended.
12.Warm up liquid mixture. (I warmed up liquid mixture in microwave oven for 10sec and mix well.)
13.Pour liquid mixture into cake batter and mix till no trace of oil is seen.
14.Pour batter into prepared pan.
15.Tap tray on tabletop or run a spatula through cake batter few times to burst any air bubbles.
16.Use a pastry scraper to smooth surface of cake batter.
17.Bake in preheated oven for 15mins till surface is browned.
18.Put a baking tin on wooden mould, act as tent preventing burned crust.
19.Then lower temperature to 150C and bake for another 35-40mins.
20.Once it out from the oven, fold in grease proof paper which is dangling over the pan to cover cake.
21.Flip it over resting cake up-side-down on a flat hard board.
22.Wrap it up with plastic wrap and rest in fridge overnight.
23.Slice cake with sharp knife and serve.