Saturday, April 2, 2016
Japanese Cotton Cake
Recipe source from 大厨纲 - 日本棉花蛋糕.
35g unsalted butter
50g cake flour (sift)
45g condensed milk
3 egg yolk
3 egg white
35g caster sugar
adequate strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Lined base and sides of a 8 inches square pan with grease proof paper and set aside.
3. Pour egg white in a bowl, cover and store in fridge.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat till bubbles appear on surface.
5. Remove from heat quickly add in flour.
6. Use a spatula and stir till flour is cook through and a soft dough is form.
7. Add in condensed milk and mix till well blended.
8. Beat egg yolk, egg and salt together.
9. Add in egg mixture a little at a time into batter, beat till smooth with a spatula.
10.In a clean bowl whisk egg whites till frothy.
11.Gradually add in sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
12.Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into egg batter till combined.
13.Pour cake batter into meringue and fold till just incorporated.
14.Pour cake batter into prepared pan, smooth surface and tap pan on tabletop to burst air bubbles.
15.Place cake pan on 2nd shelf of a preheated oven and bake for 15mins.
16.Shift cake pan to lower shelf and bake for another 5mins.
17.Switch off oven power and leave cake pan in oven for another 2mins.
18.Remove cake pan from oven, remove cake and leave it to cool on wire rack.
19.Cut cake into two pieces, spread jam and sandwich them together.
20.Trim off edge, slices into serving size and serve.