Monday, December 1, 2014
Cotton Soft Sponge Cake
40g unsalted butter
60g plain flour (sift twice)
3 egg yolk (about 58g)
1/4tsp vanilla paste
3 egg white (about 140g)
55g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 140C.
2. Line base of a 7 inches round loose base pan with grease proof paper and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
4. Remove from heat and quickly add in flour.
5. Use a spatula and stir till flour is cook through and a soft dough is form.
6. Mix egg yolk, 28g beaten egg and vanilla paste together.
7. Add in egg mixture a little at a time, with a spatula and beat till smooth.
8. Add in milk and mix till well blended.
9. Strain batter and set it aside.
10.In a clean bowl whisk egg whites till frothy.
11.Gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
12.Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into egg batter till combined.
13.Pour cake batter into meringue and fold till just incorporated.
14.Pour cake batter into prepared pan, smooth surface and tap pan on tabletop to burst air bubbles.
15.Place cake pan into an 8 inches round pan and steam-bake in preheated oven for 45-50mins.
16.Remove cake pan from oven, invert pan onto another loose base cake pan (remove base) and cool it on wire rack.