Thursday, November 11, 2010
Sweet Potato Fa Gao
Recipe from 'Nyonya Kuih Passions' by Andrew Kow.
1tbsp instant yeast
60ml water (about 55g)
200g mashed sweet potato
200ml coconut milk
300g plain flour/ cake flour/ Hong Kong flour
2tsp double action baking powder
180g caster sugar
(adjust sugar amount according to the sweetness of the sweet potato)
1. Mix (A) together until well combined, cover and set aside to prove for 30mins.
2. Sift flour and baking powder together into a big bowl.
3. Add in sugar, coconut milk, egg and yeast dough into the sifted flour and mix until well combined.
4. Lastly add in the mashed sweet potato and mix well.
5. Cover and set aside to prove for 60-90mins until double in size.
6. Spoon dough batter into a lined mould until full.
7. Steam in a preheated steamer for 20-25mins.
8. Remove fa gao from mould and cool it on a wire rack.