Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Cake
This morning, I baked this Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Birthday Cake for my Hubby.
2tsp chocolate paste
30g cocoa powder
60g hot water
110g cake flour
1/4tsp baking soda
1/4tsp baking powder
4 egg yolk
45g veg. oil
4 egg white
80g caster sugar
1/4tsp cream of tartar
90g hazelnut chocolate (available at Phoon Huat and Sun Lik)
100g unsalted butter
250g whipping cream (whipped)
1 bar of dark chocolate (use a vegetable peeler to shave it into stripes)
1. Preheat oven at 175C.
2. Mix (A) together til smooth and set aside.
3. Sift (B) together and set aside.
4. Use a hand whisk and mix (C) together.
5. Add (A) and (B) into (C) and mix until smooth batter, set aside.
6. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
7. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
8. Fold in the meringue lightly in 3 portions into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.
9. Pour batter into a lined 9" round tin.
10.Put in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35mins.
11.Remove cake from tin and set aside to cool.
Hazelnut butter cream:
1. Beat hazelnut chocolate and butter together until well blended.
2. Ready to use.
1. Slice the cake horizontally into three pieces.
2. Spread the hazelnut butter cream evenly on the cakes and sandwich them together.
3. Chill it in the fridge for 15-20mins.
4. Remove cake from fridge and spread the whole cake with whipped cream.
5. Use a palette knife and smooth out the whipping cream around the cake.
6. Chill it in the fridge for 10-15mins.
7. Pipe rosette on the cake and decorate it with cherry.
8. Sprinkle the center of the cake with some shaved chocolate.
9. Coat the side of the cake with the shaved chocolate.
10.Lastly sift some snow powder/ cocoa powder on the cake.
11.Chill in the fridge and it ready to serve.