Sunday, March 14, 2010
Steamed Cheese Cake
Recipe from 'Cake in Steam' (蒸糕招).
200g cream cheese
70g cake flour }sift
50g corn flour }together
4 egg yolk (about 80g)
1 1/2tbsp lemon juice
4 egg white (about 160g)
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Line the base of a 8" square spring form cake pan/ 2 loaf pans with grease proof paper and set aside.
2. Double-boil milk, cream cheese and butter until cream cheese has melted completely.
3. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
4. Strain the mixture into a bigger mixing bowl.
5. Use a hand whisk and whisk the egg yolk into the cream cheese mixture until well blended.
6. Follow by the flour and lemon juice, mix until smooth batter.
7. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
8. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
9. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the cream cheese mixture until combined.
10.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well combined.
11.Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and cover with foil.
12.Place cake pan into a preheated steamer and steam it at medium low heat for 45-50mins or until cook.
13.Remove from cake pan and cool it on wire rack.
Note: Cake will shrink slightly.