Sunday, November 1, 2009
Two-Tone Coconut Bread
This recipe which I tried out is by Alex Goh 'Magic Bread'. All the recipes in this book used gelatinized dough (烫种面团) to make breads. It was easy to prepare the gelatinized dough and I was amazed by the softness and springy texture of the bread. :)
100g bread flour
70g boiling water
400g bread flour
10g milk powder
25g coconut milk powder
8g instant yeast
few drops of green food colouring
1. Add boiling water into the bread flour, mix until it form a soft dough.
2. Cover and set aside to cool.
3. Keep it in the fridge to rest for at least 12 hours.
1. Leave the gelatinized dough aside to thaw for 10-15mins.
2. Mix (A) in a cake mixer with a dough hook attracted until well-blended.
3. Add (B) into the dry ingredients, beat at medium speed until it form a rough dough.
4. Add in the gelatinized dough and continue to beat until well-blended.
5. Lastly, add in (C) continue to beat until it form a smooth and elastic dough.
6. Take out 400g of the dough and mix in (D) until well-blended.
7. Leave the rest of the dough plain.
8. Cover both the doughs and let it prove for 45-55mins.
9. Roll both doughs into round shape, cover and rest for another 10mins.
10.Use a rolling pin and roll out both doughs into rectangular shape.
11.Place the flatten green dough on top of the plain dough and roll it up like Swiss roll.
12.Cut the dough into 9-10 pieces and arrange it onto a greased and bottom lined with greaseproof paper 9inches round tin.
13.Cover and leave to prove for 45mins until it doubled in size.
14.Preheat oven to 175C.
15.Brush surface with milk and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25mins until brown.
16.Remove buns from tin, brush surface with butter and cool on a wire rack.