Monday, May 1, 2017
Bean Curd Sponge Cake
50g bean curd
45g unsweetened soya bean drink
40g egg white
40g veg. oil
90g cake flour
180g egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Line base and side of a 7" square tin with grease proof paper. (Sides of grease proof paper higher than tin.)
2. Double wrap tin base and surrounding with foil, set aside.
3. Blend bean curd and soya bean drink together.
4. Sift flour and salt together, set aside.
5. In a big mixing bowl pour in bean curd paste, egg white and oil.
6. With a hand whisk, whisk till well combined.
7. Add in flour and mix till smooth batter, set aside. (If batter is too thick add in some soya bean drink.)
8. Preheat oven to 150C.
9. With a cake mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
10.Gradually add in sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
11.Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the bean curd batter until combined.
12.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions until well combined.
13.Tap tin on tabletop to burst air bubbles in cake batter.
14.Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
15.Steam-bake cake in a preheated oven for 15mins, reduce temperature to 130C and bake for another 35-40mins. (Adjust oven temperature according to your house oven heating power.)
16.Remove cake tin from oven, drop cake tin on tabletop to prevent shrinkage.
17.Lift up grease proof paper to remove cake from tin.
18.Cool cake on wire rack.