This bun/kueh is very popular among the Chinese Blogs and had received a lot of good compliments. Same like other, I'm curious of it taste too. So today I tried it out. Frankly said, the first bite was quite ok it soft and taste like steamed bun with chewy texture. The next bite I have to shook my head, this is not the kind of kueh which I like. Oh...but my younger boy loved it, he ate two.
Recipe source from 'Y3K Traditional Kuih-Muih'.
80g plain flour
1tsp instant yeast
120g pumpkin (pared off skin)
60g glutinous rice flour
30g plain flour
1/4tsp baking powder
some water to bind
2tbsp veg. oil
banana leaf cut into around 12pcs of 10cm x 8cm
1. Dissolve instant yeast in water.
2. Pour into flour and mix well.
3. Cover and set aside to proof for 1-2 hours.
1. Cut pumpkin into small pieces and steam till cook.
2. Mashed into paste while it hot, set aside.
3. Add sugar and baking powder into starter dough and mix well.
4. Add glutinous rice flour, plain flour, pumpkin paste, veg. oil into starter dough mixture and mix well.
5. Add some water if necessaries in order to bind into soft dough. (I didn't add any water as my pumpkin paste is too wet due to over steaming.)
6. Put dough in a bowl, cover and rest for 10mins.
7. Grease palm with oil and divide dough into 40g each.
8. Roll into balls and flatten slightly.
9. Place dough on an oil-glazed banana leaf, cover and rest for another 20mins.
10.Preheat steamer, bring water to a rapid boiling.
11.Arrange snacks on steaming rack with some gap in between buns for expansion.
12.Steam snack over medium heat for 10mins.