Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Orange Cheesecake

I'm really craving for cheesecake. It been some time I didn't bake cheesecake. So I bake a small cheesecake to pamper myself. I have this for breakfast and afternoon tea, very...contented. :)

Recipe

Ingredients
Biscuit base:
140g digestive biscuits (finely crushed)
60g butter (melted)

Cheese layer:
250g cream cheese
65g caster sugar
1 1/2tbsp corn flour
2 egg
40g orange juice
1 orange zest
60g whipping cream

Glazing:
3tbsp deco gel/piping gel
1/4tsp orange essence
a drop of orange food colouring

Steps:
Biscuit base:
1. Mix both crushed biscuit and melted butter together till well blended.
2. Lined a 7inches loose base round tin with grease proof paper.
3. Press biscuit onto base and chill in fridge for 1/2hour or till firm.

Cheese layer:
1. Preheat oven at 160C.
2. Use a food processor, mix cream cheese, sugar and corn flour till blended.
3. Slowly pour in beaten egg and blend till well mix.
4. Follow by orange juice, zest and whipping cream and blend till well mix.
5. Wrap the base and side of the cake tin with aluminum foil.
6. Pour the cream cheese batter onto the biscuits base.
7. With a toothpick poke all the air bubbles floating on the surface of the cream cheese batter.
8. Steam bake in the preheated oven for 45-55mins.
9. Leave cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1hr with the door ajar.
10.Chill cheesecake in fridge for 2-4hr till set.

Assemble cake:
1. Mix orange essence and colouring into deco gel.
2. If you find it too thick add 1/2tsp of hot water and mix well.
3. Pour orange deco gel onto cheesecake and spread it out evenly.
4. Return to fridge and chill till the gel is set.
5. Remove cheesecake from tin, sliced and serve.

Note: You may like to choice any of this steam bake/water bath method.
- I usually placed cheesecake cake tin into a bigger cake tin then I place it into water bath. (lower shelf)
- This time I placed a tray of hot water at the lower shelf, place a steaming rack in it and put the cake tin on the steaming rack without touching the water at all.
- I read from other blogs, they placed a cup of hot water at each corner in the oven then placed the cake tin on the oven rack.

11 comments:

Daphne said...

Very rich and fruitty cheesecake always my favourite too :) Yours looks lovely, great afternoon tea treats ever!

hanushi said...

Pretty!!! I love how you design the layout of cheesecake.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Daphne and Hanushi,

Thanks, want a slice? ;p

Yummy Bakes said...

I would love to have a slice for tea too. I also made a non-bake banana cheesecake last week.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Yummy Bakes,

Hehehe...too late, I had finished the whole cake. I saw yours too and make me feel like having more cheesecake too!

Alina said...

Your cheesecake is looking very tasty:) You write very interesting blog:) Greetings from Poland:)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Alina Wyka,

Thanks for your nice compliment. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, ur cheesecake look so lovely..

Can i check did u slice off the sides of your cheesecake? It looks so smooth and no signs of brown at all. Pls enlighten me.

The cheesecake i bake is always 1 round of baked brown colour.
Thanks for your advise

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

I didn't slice off the side. I had never come across browning of the side when baking cheesecake. You can try lined the side of the baking pan with grease proof paper to prevent it from browning.

Anonymous said...

This is so weird for me.. Guess my oven temperature is too hot? I nvr put any grease paper before. Shall try again.

Thanks for your reply.
Pls continue to bake more lovely cakes for your readers!

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your lovely words. Happy baking. :)