Thursday, April 19, 2012
Marble Castella Cake
70g caster sugar
75g bread flour
1tsp chocolate paste
1. Double lined a 18cm x 8cm base loaf pan and with excess grease proof paper dangling over the pan, wrap surrounding with foil and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 165C.
3. Sift bread flour twice and set aside.
4. With a hand whisk, whisk eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl over a pot of simmer hot water. (Base of mixing bowl not touching water.)
5. Keep whisking till the egg mixture reach about 40C.
6. Remove from simmering water, pour egg into cake mixer bowl.
7. Whisk at high speed for 5mins till it increase in volume and pale yellow.
8. Reduce speed to medium-low and continue to whisk till it stable where only tiny air bubbles can be seen, it take about 10-15mins or slightly longer.
9. Reduce speed to low and continue to whisk for a minute.
10.Dissolve honey and glucose in warm milk. (I poured them together into a small bowl, warmed it up in microwave oven for 10sec and mix well.)
11.Bring the mixer speed up to medium, pour in lukewarm honey mixture and mix till well blended.
12.Sift bread flour in 3 batches into egg batter and fold in till well blended.
13.Scoop some batter into a small bowl and mix in chocolate paste.
14.Pour chocolate batter into plain batter and briefly stir around.
13.Pour batter into prepared pan.
14.Either tap pan on counter top or use a skewer to stir the batter around to burst any air bubbles.
15.Bake in preheated oven for 45mins.
16.Once it out from the oven, remove cake from pan and remove one piece of the grease proof paper.
17.Place a clean white paper on the surface, fold in grease proof paper which is dangling over the pan.
18.Flip it over resting cake up-side-down on a flat hard board.
19.Put it in a big plastic bag and rest in fridge overnight.
20.Slice cake with sharp knife and serve.
Note: Another alternative to create marble effects: pour some plain batter into pan, spoon 1tsp of chocolate batter over it and stir briefly. Repeat step till all the chocolate batter is used up.