Monday, February 6, 2012
Chocolate Two Tone Steamed Buns
85g warm water
1 1/2tsp instant yeast
250g Hong Kong flour/ pau flour
65g icing sugar
1/2tsp baking powder
30g egg white
1tsp cocoa powder
1. Mix yeast and lukewarm water together, set aside for 10-15mins.
2. Sift flour, icing sugar and baking powder onto a clean surface and make a well in the centre.
3. Pour yeast mixture, egg white and shortening into the centre of the well.
4. Stir in flour and knead with your palm till a smooth and soft dough is formed. (You may need to add some flour if the dough is sticky.)
5. Cover and set aside to rest for 40mins.
6. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
7. Divide dough into two portions (210g and 238g) .
8. Knead cocoa powder into 210g dough while leaving the other dough plain.
9. Place chocolate dough on floured greased proof paper, flatten dough and roll out dough into long rectangular, trim 4 edges to get straight lines.
10.Flatten plain dough on floured tabletop and roll it into long rectangular, trim 4 edges to get straight lines.
11.Together with the grease proof paper, flip the chocolate dough onto the plain dough and remove grease proof paper.
12.Press lightly and roll it up from the wider side.
13.With a shape knife cut into 10 slices.
14.Place it on a square(6x6cm) grease proof paper.
15.Cover and let it rest for 30mins.
16.Preheat steamer, bring water to a rapid boiling.
17.Arrange buns on steaming rack with some gap in between buns for expansion.
18.Steam buns over medium heat for 10mins.
Note: The dough is very soft and slight sticky. Don't add too much flour during kneading as a result the buns texture will be hard and dry.