Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Palm Sugar Malay Cake (椰糖马来糕）
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by Small Small Baker.
50g plain flour
1tbsp caster sugar
75ml warm water
1tsp instant yeast
165g palm sugar/gula melaka
70g caster sugar
200g plain flour (sifted)
1/2tsp dark soy sauce
85g unsalted butter (melted)
1/2tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Add in flour and sugar, stir till well blended.
3. Cover and set it aside to proof for 1hour.
1. Boil palm sugar with water until it dissolved, set aside to cool.
1. Whisk eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Lightly fold flour into egg batter.
3. Mix melted butter, black soy sauce and syrup together.
4. Fold in liquid mixture until well blended.
5. Follow by sponge dough.
6. Lastly, sift baking soda and baking powder into batter and mix well.
7. Pour batter into a lined 6-7inches round bamboo basket or round cake tin.
8. Steam in a preheated steamer at high heat for 35-40mins.
9. Remove cake and cool it on a wire rack.