Monday, April 18, 2011
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #6: Say Cheese! (April 2011) by Noms I Must.
90g caster sugar
95g cake flour
25g veg. oil
Cream cheese mixture:
65g caster sugar
180g cream cheese
20g unsalted butter
35g cake flour (sift)
1/2tsp vanilla paste
4 egg yolk
4 egg white
60g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Lined base of a 8" round tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
3. Use a cake mixer to whisk the eggs, salt and sugar until thick and fluffy.
4. Sift the cake flour into the cake batter in 3 portions and fold in.
5. Mix milk and oil together and fold in lightly into the batter until well combined.
6. Pour batter into the cake tin.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30mins.
8. Remove cake from tin and cool on a wire rack.
9. Slice the cake horizontally into 2 layers.
Cream cheese mixture:
1. Line the side and base of a 8" round springform baking tin with grease proof paper and place the sponge cake at the bottom.
2. Melt sugar in a saucepan over low heat until it turn golden brown.
3. Slowly pour milk into caramel sugar and bring to a slow boil.
4. Place the saucepan in another bigger pot with simmering water in it.
5. Double-boil caramel milk, butter and cream cheese until cream cheese has melted completely.
6. Add in flour, stir and cook until mixture has thicken.
7. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
8. Whisk in egg yolk into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
9. Strain the mixture into a bigger mixing bowl.
10.Preheat oven to 175C.
11.Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites till frothy.
12.Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till soft peaks form.
13.Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the cream cheese mixture until combined.
14.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well combined.
15.Pour batter into the prepared cake tin, wrap the base and surrounding of the tin with 2 layers of foil.
16.Steam-bake cheesecake in a preheated oven for 15mins then reduce temperature to 150C and continue to bake for 1hr.
17.Leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1hr with the door ajar.
18.Remove cake from tin and chill in the fridge for about 1hr.(You can also chill the whole cheesecake in the cake tin.)
19.Cut and serve the cheesecake.