Monday, January 11, 2010
Coffee Walnut Chiffon Cake
3 egg yolk
20g caster sugar
45g corn oil
50g hot milk
2tbsp instant coffee powder
70g cake flour
1/8tsp baking powder
55g walnut (roasted and chopped)
3 egg white
60g caster sugar
1/4tsp cream of tartar
25g walnut (roasted and chop coarsely)
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Sift flour and baking powder together, set aside.
3. Pour the hot milk into the coffee powder, mix until well combined and set aside to cool.
4. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolk and sugar together.
5. Add in oil and milk, whisk till combined.
6. Add in flour and stir until batter is smooth.
7. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
8. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form.
9. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
10.Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in 3 portions until well combined.
11.Lastly fold in the 55g chopped walnut.
12.Pour batter into a 20cm/21cm tube pan.
13.Sprinkle the 25g coarsely chopped walnut on the surface.
14.Put into a preheated oven and bake for 40-45mins.
15.Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cool.
16.Remove from pan and serve.