Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sweet Tau Sa Piah (甜豆沙饼)





I still have some more Mung Bean filling left from my Ang Ku Kueh as I had made extra. I was thinking of using it to make something difference. The filling is dry and this gave me an idea to make Tau Sa Piah. I took out my 'Mid-Autumn Mooncake' recipe book by Khoo See Yew and started to search for a pastry for Tau Sa Piah. I have found two recipes but not sure which is the best. So I compared both the ingredients used and photos. Finally, I picked the one which said 'Crispy Mooncake'.

This is the first time I am using a 'Water and Oil dough'. So I don't expect a perfect result for my first try. Fortunately, everything turn out very well. The pastry is very crispy. :)

Recipe

Ingredients
Water dough:
100g plain flour
20g icing sugar
35g water
40g shortening

Oil dough:
100g plain flour
40g shortening
10g corn oil

Filling:
200g mung beans
1/3cup corn oil
1/3cup sugar (may adjust to suit individual taste)

1 egg yolk mix with 1tsp of water
some white sesame seed

Steps:
Filling:
1. Soak mung bean overnight and steam for 35 to 40mins until soften.
2. Blend until fine bread crumb.
3. Heat a wok and fry blended mung bean, sugar and oil until sugar dissolved. (If it is too dry, add some oil.)
4. Dish out and leave to cool. (You can prepare this in advance and keep in fridge.)

Water dough:
1. Sift flour and icing sugar together into a big bowl.
2. Rub in the shortening and water into the flour mixture.
3. Knead to form a soft dough.
4. Cover and rest for 10mins.

Oil dough:
1. Sift flour into a big bowl.
2. Rub in the shortening and oil to form a soft dough.

Shaping of dough:
1. Roll out the water dough into long strip and divide into 12pcs.
2. Repeat step 1 for oil dough.
3. Flatten water dough and wrap the oil dough into the water dough.
4. Flatten the dough, use a wooden rod and roll the dough into a rectangle.
5. Roll in the dough, just like swiss roll and repeat the step again.
6. Flatten it then roll into round shape.
7. Grab some filling and wrap into the dough.
8. Seal the opening and place it on a greased tray.
9. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle sesame seed on top.
10.Bake in a preheated oven 180C for 20-25mins.
11.Remove and cool on a wire rack.

5 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Happy Flour,
wah!! you really super! I've no clue how to make this when everytime I'm eating them. I like Tau Sa Piah very much especially the one called "Xin Xiang" brand selling in Penang. You did it very nicely! I'm sure it tasty good too. Well done!

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

Thanks, but I am not super lah. The recipe book has photos showing step by step on how to roll the dough and I just follow.

I find that homemade Tau Sa Piah taste better as the filling is freshly made without any preservative and still has the taste of mung bean. I like it very much.

homecookedrecipe said...

Hi Happy Flour, May you share the recipe? I am interested to try this myself! :)

homecookedrecipe said...

I am interested to try this one myself. Do you still have the recipe?

Unknown said...

Hi Happy Flour,

Been searching for Tau Sar Piah recipe. I'll like to echo Catherine and ask for the recipe too. Would like to try this as I haven't eaten this for years.