Thursday, September 8, 2011
Baked Red Bean Paste Mooncake (Vegetarian - without egg glaze)
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011), hosted by Happy Home Baking.
150g plain flour/ cake flour (sifted)
90g golden syrup
40g 100% pure peanut oil
1/2tsp alkaline water
450g red bean paste
(divide into 15 balls 30g each)
1. Mix the golden syrup, oil and alkaline together.
2. Add the syrup into the flour and mix until it form a soft dough.
3. Cover and rest dough for 3 to 5 hours or rest it in the fridge overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 180C.
5. Divide dough into 24g each.
6. Flatten it and wrap in the filling, seal the edges and roll into a ball.
7. Pad the ball with some flour and press it into mooncake mould.
8. Knock the mooncake out from the mould and arrange it on a greased tray.
9. Baked in a preheated oven for 8mins.
10.Remove from oven and leave it to cool for 10mins.
11.Spray surface of baked mooncakes with water.
12.Return it to the oven and continue to baked for another 10mins until golden brown.
13.Remove from tray and cool it on a wire rack.
-The skin of a freshly baked mooncake is hard. It will take about 3 to 4 days (depend on the thickness of the skin) for oil to ooze out and the skin will turn soft and taste better.