Thursday, January 13, 2011

Angel Biscuits




Recipe from Fresh with Anna Olson- Retro 50's Meal(season 2).
It look like scone but it taste like butter bun. The texture is as soft as bread, it is very easy to prepare too. Must try! :)
Following is half portion of the recipe which I had tried out.

Recipe

Ingredients (yield about 8biscuits)
2g instant dry yeast (about 3/4tsp)
30g sugar
1tbsp warm water (body temperature)
190g plain flour
1/4tsp baking soda
1/4tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
60g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
120g buttermilk

Steps:
1. Stir yeast, a pinch of the sugar and water together and set aside while preparing other ingredients.
2. Sift flour, remaining sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3. Cut the butter into the flour until it’s a rough crumbly texture.
4. Stir the yeast mixture into the buttermilk and add it all to the flour.
5. Mix until a sticky dough comes together, wrap and chill overnight.
6. The next day, preheat oven to 220C.
7. On a generously floured surface (dough will be sticky), roll out dough to 1cm thick and fold dough over in half, pressing down gently.
8. Using a 5 cm round cutter (I used a 4cm round cutter.), cut out biscuits and place on a greased tray.
9. Bake 10-12mins, until just lightly browned.
10.Remove from tray and cool it on a wire rack.
11.Serve biscuits warm or freeze and re-warm to serve later.

18 comments:

DG said...

Oh yes ... it really looks like scone, but can see thru have soft texture on your second picture.
I never try baking use buttermilk before, I would like to check with you whether it can be substitued by milk?

Kitchen Corner said...

This is very special indeed. Look like scones but taste like bread! I must give this a try. Thanks for sharing, bookmarked!!!

WendyinKK said...

I've bookmarked this recipe too from Anna. The way you described it makes it taste really good. I can imagine that.

hanushi said...

Looks v soft and interesting... thumbs up...

Your #1 Fan said...

This is the first time I come across this recipe. The biscuits look so good! I love how the texture looks. Thanks for sharing. -recipe bookmarked- =D

ann low said...

Yes, these look like scones. You said "soft", then I must try to make this :))

Bakericious said...

sound easy and if taste like soft bread and dun need to knead the dough, I will definitely go for it :P

sotong said...

They look sooo good, i'm saving the recipe in my to-bake list. Thanks for sharing!

Wen said...

I just tried! Wonderful recipe and definitely a keeper! Taste even better than scone and you are right so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Flour said...

Hi DG,

You can't replace buttermilk with milk but you can try replacing it with yogurt. I'm not sure whether it work, you can give it a try.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Wendy,

My boys loved it very much, I only have one piece and they finished every single one on the cooling rack. ;p I'm sure your girl will love this.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner, Hanushi, Jet, Anncoo, Jess and Sotong,

This recipe is worth trying and definitely a keeper.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Wen,

Oh, you are fast to try this out. Glad to hear your compliment on this recipe. It definitely true that this recipe is a keeper. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautiful with smooth and soft texture. I love them with some soya milk for the breakfast!

Lisa said...

Oh how neat. I just made angel biscuits on my blog too. I love how yours turned out.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Angie and Lisa,

Thanks for dropping by and leave your
beautiful words. :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Immediately bookmarked this recipe, it look too good. Thanks for sharing.

yen said...

It was yummy with strawberries jam & sour cream. Appreciate your effort in sharing the recipe, thank you!