Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vanilla Sponge Cake



This is my last minutes bakes for my sister and her sweet princess visit. I baked a simple sponge cake and sandwich it with strawberry jam. So glad that she love it. :) You can find the orginial recipe from 'Kitchen Corner' blog here or from Ytower.

Recipe

Ingredients
3 egg
125g caster sugar
1/4tsp salt
100g cake flour
22g veg. oil
22g milk
1/4tsp vanilla paste

strawberry jam

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Lined base of a 7inches round tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
3. Use a cake mixer to whisk the eggs, salt and sugar until thick and fluffy.
4. Sift the cake flour into the cake batter in 3 portions and fold in. (I used hand whisk to fold in.)
5. Mix milk, vanilla paste and oil together and fold in lightly into the batter until well combined. (You can mix some batter into the oil mixture then fold into the remaining batter but you have to make sure that the oil batter is fold in properly into the egg batter.)
6. Pour batter into the cake tin.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30mins.
8. Remove cake from tin and cool on a wire rack.
9. Slice cake into 2 pieces and sandwich it with strawberry jam.

22 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This sponge cake look really good.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Sonia,

Thanks, it's really very spongy and yummy. :)

Kendra Bing said...

~~ $$$ dropping by ~~

missy said...

HI HHB coincidentally i also did a victoria sponge cake recently - with strzwberry jam but i didnt do buttercream .. I like sponge cake cos it's light and nice..

merry xmas!

Anonymous said...

I have been following ur blog since months ago. You have inspired me to love baking & cooking. TQVM!

Allie said...

your cake looks lovely!

tracieMoo said...

It does look pretty soft. Must be yummy to sandwich it with jam. I love the decorations you put on it!

Happy Flour said...

Hi Missy,

Sorry, I'm not HHB. Sometime it nice to have something simple.

Happy Flour said...

Hi TQVM, Allie and TracieMoo,

Thanks for all your compliments. :)

thuy said...

Can you please tell me the ingredients that are used to make this sponge cake. Thankyou very much.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Thuy,

You can find the recipe from Kitchen Corner blog and I already did link it from my Vanilla Sponge Cake post.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm baking using a 7 inch round tin, with a height of about 6 cm, would that be appropriate for baking this cake in?

And how tall would the cake approximately be after baking?

Thanks!

Happy Flour said...

Hi WeiLi,

It fine to use a 7" tin. Sorry, I had forgotten what is the height of the cake. It should be approximatively 3.5".

Anonymous said...

Hi!

oh okay, hm, then in this case, could i still use my cake pan which height is 6 cm and line it with high parchment paper? Cause i couldnt seem to find a high cake pan.

Anonymous said...

May i know how high is your 7" round tin? If my cake batter flows over the top while baking, is it normal? Thank you very much.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Wei Li,

Sorry, the height of the cake should be approximatively 2". My cake tin has the same measurement as yours.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

I'm using a 7inches base and 6cm high round tin. If you worry it will overflow just fill the cake tin 70%-80% full. I remembered this cake turn out quite high, it almost touched the rim of the tin.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Just wondering ... Do u think this batter will bake well in the mini donut pan?

Tx!

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

You can give it a try. Well greased the pan to prevent it from sticking to it.

Anonymous said...

when beating the egg is all the way using high speed ma?flour divide 3times adding in?why when i folding in the flour must will deflate alot de?

Unknown said...

How much vanilla powder should I be using?

Happy Flour said...

Hi Jason Ng,

I never used vanilla powder before so I'm not sure how much should you add into the cake batter.