Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Rich Pound Cake
125g unsalted butter
90g caster sugar
3 egg yolk
1/4tsp vanilla paste
1/4cup creme fraiche (about 55g)
180g cake flour
1/4tsp baking powder
3 egg white
1/4tsp cream of tartar
60g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
3. Use a cake mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.
4. Gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peaks, cover and set aside.
5. In another mixing bowl, cream butter, salt and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Slowly beat in egg yolk and vanilla essence until well combined.
7. Then fold in flour and creme fraiche alternately until well combined.
8. Lastly, fold in meringue in three portions into the butter mixture until combined.
9. Pour batter into a lined and greased 7inches round tin.
10.Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45mins.
11.Remove cake from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Note: You can replace creme fraiche with whipping cream or plain yogurt.